These are seriously yummy and scrumptious. O M G. I love Quinoa!!! Quinoa is a super grain. Actually, its packed full of protein. Its low in calories and rich in vitamins. You can easily buy the organic variety in literally any health shop or even at your local supermarket health food section.
I love quinoa because its versatile. You can throw together anything and its delicious. Use it with mixed grilled veggies, sautéed asian greens, or make a massive vegetarian or meaty (chicken/ turkey/ tuna) salad. Add sultanas for sweetness, or add pumpkin seeds (extra zinc. ) for crunch!
Lately I have been cooking up a storm with these babies. I have two recipes for Quinoa, one with canned tuna and one with roast chicken.
Ingredients you will need:
1 cup of Quinoa (any variety)
1 large zucchini;
1 large carrot;
2 cans of tuna in olive oil – you can use plain tuna or sweet chilly (hello .. ) and even just a chilly one;
2 large eggs;
Half a cup of Semolina (this is absolutely amazing.. Low GI, and Gluten Free).. or you can use Polenta as well instead of flour although I have never used this.
Salt and Pepper to season;
2 medium garlic cloves;
- Boil the quinoa in boiling water for approximately 10 minutes until fluffy and done. Drain and set aside.
- Using your grater, grate a large zucchini and one large carrot. Sprinkle with a bit of salt and let it sit for about 15 minutes or so. The salt will drain all the excess water out of the zucchini and carrot.
- In a large bowl, transfer (and drain with your hands) ALL the water from the zucchini and carrot and place in the bowl.
- Transfer the cooked and cooled quinoa in to the bowl as well as the two eggs, semolina, tuna and season with salt and pepper.
- Get your hands dirty and mix everything together.
- Make into small to medium patties and cook into the pan with olive oil.
To substitute tuna, you can use diced up chicken and feta cheese which I have to say is AMAZING and delicious as the feta melts and adds some salty flavours.
These are definitely delicious and the quinoa really adds a crunch to the patties. To present nicely you could also sit them ontop of some beautiful sweet potato mash or normal mash with a side of asparagus or a nice simple bean salad.!!!
Enjoy them!! I know I DO !
Love, Barbara xox